October 25, 2011

Mama Bear

Today is my mom's birthday. 
There are just 3 simple, but important things that sum up how much she means to me.

1. She is my very best friend. I remember when I was a junior in high school and going through a break up, which at the time, seemed like the end of the world. I got home late one night and I was so upset but it was too late to call any of my friends. Not sure who to talk to, I went to my mom. She laid in bed with me all night and held me while I cried. 
Ever since, she has been the most important person I confide in. 

2. She has given me one thing I consider priceless--a love for nature. We work our way up to the top of mountains whether we're hiking, biking or skiing and then suddenly we are in our own world, without another soul around. It is in this beautiful, secret world of ours that time stands still and worries weigh-down less while we talk, share secrets, laugh and cry.

3. For Christmas last year, she got me a set of nice scissors for my classroom. A classroom I didn't have yet. To most, this would be meaningless and probably disappointing. But to me, this was one of the most meaningful gifts I'd ever received.  
To me, this gift meant that my mom is proud of me, supports me and has endless faith in me.


Mountain Biking Millcreek Canyon


I love you, Mom. I always will. Even if someday you get Jacked.

8 comments:

Hannah Richins said...

cute! you look so much like your mom!

Bryan said...

I love her too! So glad she was my mom sometimes too.

Jourdan said...

Oh dear, this is a woman I want to be like when I grow up. I'm so glad I've been able to spend so much of my life associated with her and your family. Happy birthday to an incredible person!

Erin said...

not if, but when.

Lindsey Bench said...

Its only a matter of time before we are all jacked.

Great post Laur-laur, I can relate to all of it (except the middle of the night, post break up, cry-fest. That would have required dating)

Lindsey Bench said...

Oh, and the scissors. Because that would be weird and disappointing if that were applicable to me.

Kiersten White said...

I never thought you and Mom looked much alike, but in that last picture I can see so much of her in you!

Yay Jacked Mom!

Mama White said...

oh wow, it's about time I checked your blog! Sweetheart, thank you for the kind words, and thank you for being my friend. Thank you for being crazy enough to sacrifice sleep and cleanliness to drag out in the cold, the dark, the mud, etc. to hike, bike, ski and love what I love so much. I am so glad to have you to share my passion with. And ignore what ever anyone says about us looking alike. We do except that you are duper cute and take beautiful pictures and I look like a recovering meth addict. Which I am not, by the way. Nor am I jacked. Too awfully much, anyway.